Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Coalition in Sudan?

Here's an interesting article from the BBC. According to reports:

With polling due to end on Thursday, Mr Bashir has extended an offer to other parties to join his ruling National Congress Party.

I'm not really sure what to make of this. It would be nice if al-Bashir and his party would really listen to the other parties and perhaps form some sort of legitimate government. But it's really difficult for me to see him as a democratically-minded leader. This is especially true when considering the way he came to power and how he has acted since. This whole election has really been interesting. One thing I have noticed though, that is a bit disconcerting, is the lack of coverage or reporting on how the Darfur region is being affected or how it is participating (if at all) in this election. That's another reason that I have my doubts about al-Bashir's overture, his inaction and denials relating to the violence there.

No comments:

Post a Comment