Monday, April 12, 2010

Hausa

Another language post! This time it's on Hausa, another African language that I'm considering attempting to learn. I want to learn at least one language from each continent, and so far only have Europe and North America covered, and to a certain extent South America with a passable level of Spanish. I'll keep this going next year by beginning to learn Japanese, taking care of Asia. But that leaves Africa, the continent I plan to spend the greater part of my life studying and where I plan to work for at least a couple of years. I've discovered that some of the colleges near my hometown offer courses in the language over the summer. So this might be a better
option for me than Wolof. In addition it's also more widely spoken than Wolof so
that is something to consider as well.

The Foreign Service Institute also has its Hausa Basic Course text and audio on-line, so that might help too. UCLA's Hausa Home Page is another great resource with a lot of information on the language.





Image from Hausa Language

No comments:

Post a Comment